Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Why Being Single is A Blessing

   For many, many years I was very discontent with the direction that my life was going in. I was a stereotypical teenage girl yearning for a "relationship". I saw countless amounts of my friends going on dates, bringing their boyfriends to dances and prom, and getting spontaneous flowers delivered to my school from theirs truly. It was extremely difficult to stand back and be that friend who was constantly the third wheel. It didn't hit me until college that being single isn't a bad thing. It's not a curse and it's not the worst thing that will happen to me. It was shortly after that when I realized "Being single is not a bad thing. It's a blessing!". Sure, I heard this from a lot of my friends...my friends that had boyfriends and were obviously trying to make me feel better. I can remember thinking "If you agree that it is such a blessing and a wonderful thing, why don't you break up with your boyfriend so we can be happy together?" {Obviously, that did not happen.}

  Don't get me wrong, I'm sure that being in a God-centered relationship is a wonderful and exciting thing, and in fact, I am a firm believer in the fact that God created us to be in relation with each other. What took me so long to realize is that I shouldn't be waiting around wasting my life about being single. I should we utilizing my time to better myself, and more importantly, strengthening my relationship with The Father.

  I made a list of all of the reasons why I wanted a relationship, and these were some of the highlights:
                   1. I want to be/feel loved
                   2. I want to be told I'm beautiful from someone not related to me
                   3. I want to be desired
                   4. I eventually want to be a wife
                   5. I want to make someone happy
                   6. I want someone to be there for me
                  
  After I made this list {this wasn't all of them, just the few that mattered the most}, I looked up some scripture to look into these things.

                   1. I want to be/feel loved - "So we have come to know and to believe the love that God has for us. God is love and whoever abides in God, God abides in him." 1 John 4:16
                  
                  2. I want to be told I'm beautiful- "Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as elaborate hairstyles, and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes. Rather, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight." 1 Peter 3:3-4

                3. I want to be desired- "...You were bought at a price..." 1 Corinthians 6:20

               4. I eventually want to be a wife- "For your Maker is your husband, the Lord Almighty is His name, the Holy one of Israel is your redeemer; he is called the God of all the earth." Isaiah 54:5

              5. I want to make someone happy- "But just as we have been approved by God to be entrusted with the gospel, so we speak, not to please man, but to please God who tests our hearts." 1 Thessalonians 2:4

            6. I want someone to be there for me- "Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go." Joshua 1:9
                                                          ***
   After I discovered these things, my outlook completely changed. I will no longer look at being single as a bad thing; rather, I will look at it as a blessing! There are so many things that I get to do solely because I am still single. I think about all of the free time that I have. I get to spend it with my friends without worrying about someone else. Most importantly, I can focus on my relationship with Christ. I believe that He has gifted me this time being single so I can better myself through Him and prepare myself physically, emotionally, and spiritually for the lucky man that gets to be my husband {if that is in God's plan!} Sure, times get rough and difficult when I see my friends getting engaged, or getting into relationships. And, yes, I get choked up at romantic comedies and stories about romance and get in a "funk" when I realize no one will buy me flowers except me {and sometimes my dad}. But the great thing about all of that? I don't need flowers! I need God's love, God's grace, and God's mercy. Being single allows me to do that exactly. It allows me to focus on God and God alone instead of worrying about what I'm going to cook for my boyfriend. I spend this precious gift of time praying for myself and for God's plan. I pray that I will be ready for all that He will give to me; good or bad.
                                         
^ image found at http://crazeod.wordpress.com/2013/05/01/being-single-as-a-lifestyle/

      ^ My best friend Natalya and I enjoying NYC...who needs a boyfriend when you have a Christ-centered friendship?

 

     

Forever in Him,
Cassandra 
                                             

No comments:

Post a Comment