Friday, December 19, 2014

What I Wish I Knew in High School 5: The Good Ones Will Find Their Way

According to a study completed by the Huffington Post, 36% of people prefer strawberry jelly rather than grape (31%) on their peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. Approximately 1,500 peanut butter and jelly sandwiches will be consumed before a student completes high school.* Americans love peanut butters and jelly sandwiches-but why? Why not just peanut butter? And on the contrary, why not just jelly? Is it because peanut butter is too sticky by itself? Is it because jelly is too slimy by itself? Is it because it has become a cultural norm to eat it for lunch? There is only one reason I have find for why I love pb&j sandwiches so much: because they go well together. 

Natalie was a little-less-than-shy brown haired little girl when I first met her. We instantly bonded over the fact that I hung around the high school that my sister attended, and she hung around because her mom worked there. She loved dolphins and I loved dolphins. We both had sisters that were quite a few years older than us. We went to the same school. Destiny-or should I say The Almighty-certainly had a hand on us from the start. In middle school, I found comfort in the basketball team (my abnormally tall height limited me from playing other sports) and Natalie found her way to become the team manager. Long bus rides and away games led us to a very interesting friendship. We would listen to Justin Timberlake circa 2007 and talk about cake and pie. One thing led to another, and we were soon sleeping over each other's houses and planning mall trips on the weekend. As our friendship developed, so did many other things. I soon discovered that Natalie made me laugh like no other. She not only understood and embraced my teenage self, but also revealed that she was similar. We were in sync, we were attached at the hip, we were like peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. 

As the new adventure of high school came upon us, major changes accompanied it. I was switching schools, so we woundn't see each other everyday. There were also new people that were involved in our lives, which naturally pushed us away from each other. Time was moving on, and so were we. Natalie and I went about three years without talking or seeing each other. I noticed a lot lacking in my life, but most importantly, I noticed the lack of true friends that I had. There was no one else that I could run to when I needed advice. There was no one else that understood me completely. There was no one else that could make me laugh until my stomach hurt. I was lacking someone to do life with. 

I remember praying to my Heavenly Father about this. I had prayed that I could find another friend that was like Natalie. I never thought in a million years that we would ever be close again. I swore things would be awkward. I spent those year being bitter towards God because I didn't have a best friend, when in reality I should have been bitter towards myself. 

As a teenager, I felt as if I was entitled and stubborn against the entire situation. I never initiated anything, and I wasn't ready to jump back into anything either. If I would have had a good heart and a willing attitude, maybe things would have been different. I knew that God intended for me to have close friends; as He designed for us to be in relationships with others. When I was in high school, I wish I would have realized how great the friendship between Natalie and I was. I also wish I knew that if people are truly good for you, God won't let them stay out of your life forever. 

About a year ago, Natalie and I started hanging out again. After a few hours past, it was as if we had lost no time. My stomach was hurting from laughing, my eyes were filled with happy tears, and my heart was full of joy. The Father knew that Natalie and I could and would restore our friendship, and He knew that it would flourish. 

In high school, there are so many people around you. Some may seem as "friends" but have ulterior motives. Some may promise you that "they will be around forever", but have no intention of keeping the friendship past school. I was lucky enough to have not only a best friend, but a godly friend. High school can be a rough and trying time, but having a best friend in your life can help ease some of the struggles and help you become the best version of yourself. 

Natalie and I are now in our junior year of college, and we've grown so much since high school. She fulfills so much more than the typical role of the friend brings. She gives me advice, she listens to me, she challenges me, she inspires me, she encourages me, she puts up with me, and she loves me. I know that I'm lucky to have her, because some people go through their entire life without having a close friend. Words cannot describe how much of a blessing she is to me. My Father knew I needed a bestie, but He just so happened to give me the cream of the crop! One could say we go together like peanut butter and jelly. And friends: if your friendship is compared to one of the best pairs in the world, it is definitely worth keeping. 



"Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one's life for a friend" John 15:-3 NIV


                         Natalie and I when we were young little mermaids

          Freshman year Halloween...

           Our 80's theme sweet sixteen!

         Summer of 2014...the summer of concerts

      The most recent picture of us....French restaurant in the city-love! 


In His forever & always,

* Peanut butter and jelly statistics found at nationalpeanutboard.org 



1 comment:

  1. Cassie, that is an amazing testimony of true BFFs. Promise you will always make your friendship a priority as you grow into women with families & careers serving an awesome God. This mama-llama is praying for you ��

    ReplyDelete